Friday, August 29, 2008

Flashback Friday...With a Twist

(I originally meant to get this up and ready last Friday, but alas, I am late. BUT if intentions were GOLD, then I would be RICH.)

Today, I am going back a little further than the 80s and there isn't a music video to accompany this week's flashback.

The year was 1943...August 22, 1943 to be exact...Elton Rice married Ruby Bonner or as I call them Papaw and Mamaw.


Last Friday they celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. Not only have they survived 65 years together, but World War II, raising a daughter, a Christmas tree fire, births of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, deaths of friends and family, sickness, blindness, Alzheimer's, and so much more. Through all the ups and downs, they have always been there, together.

I have fond memories of spending weeks at my grandparents during the summer...Racing my big wheel around their cul-de-sac, playing flashlight tag, trips to the park to pick up pine cones, and building towers with wooden spools. And of course their were trips to the ranch to help count cows, open gates, cook for the men who were bailing hay, and just ride on the tail gate of that old blue pick-up.

I am proud to be their granddaughter, and it was an honor to be there to celebrate such a special occasion.

2 comments:

Meems said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandparents and the memories you hold dear with them. AND what an amazing (yes, I said it...amazing) heritage you have with them honoring their marriage for so many wonderful years. Good choice on the "Flashback".

Jane said...

Thanks, meems. I had wanted to get it up last week, but there just wasn't time. I do have an amazing heritage and I am extremely grateful!