Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Patience- Part III

Just in case you want to go back and refresh your memory or in case you are new to my blog, you can go back and read both parts 1 and 2.

Patience- Part I
Patience- Part II

As I finished up reading about perseverance, I came across Romans 8:24-25.

For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.

It was the last phrase, "with perseverance we wait" that really stuck out to me. I began looking at patience which lead to studying out perseverance/forbearing. I realized that waiting was going to be next. Waiting is a part of patience. All of these go hand in hand. I shouldn't have been surprised. Several of the verses that I had studied back in Psalms that used the phrase "wait patiently" (Psalm 37:7 and Psalm 40:1-3).

Not only does the Bible say that we should wait patiently, but how to wait, what to wait for, as well as benefits of waiting:
  • Our soul sometimes waits in silence (Psalm 62)
  • Wait for God's word (Psalm 119:74, 81, 114, 147)
  • Wait for the Lord (Psalm 130, Isaiah 40:31)
  • Wait for His lovingkindness (Psalm 147:10-12)
  • Wait eagerly (Isaiah 26:8-9)
  • Wait with hope (Isaiah 49:23)
  • Wait expectantly (Isaiah 51:5, Micah 7:7)
  • The Lord is good to those who wait (Lamentations 3:24-26)
  • Wait continually (Hosea 12:6)
  • Wait for what the Father promised (Acts 1:3-5)
  • Wait patiently (Hebrews 6:15)
Another verse that really hit home was Psalm 27:13-14.
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the LORD (NASB).
Now that is some good stuff.

I've also read a couple of different excerpts from My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, but I will have to share those at another time. I guess that means there will be a Part IV! :) Maybe I will eventually draw this to a conclusion, but until then I guess you will have to wait...

No comments: