Saturday, December 15, 2007

Recipes

This weekend my Bible Fellowship Class (a.k.a Sunday School Class) had our Christmas party. My friend Blair did an amazing job, as always, and I love the fact that she allows me to help. This year I was pretty much in charge of desserts, but I also brought spinach artichoke dip. (I'm not going to share this recipe quite yet because I want to make a few changes first. It was good, just a little thick for me.)

I made another trifle for this party, but with a different twist. It was called a Chocolate Christmas Trifle. I love chocolate and it was a Christmas party so I decided that it was an excellent fit. One of the things that I like about trifles is that they are relatively easy to fix, look impressive and amazing, and feed a large group. This is probably one of the easier ones that I have made.

Chocolate Christmas Trifle

Brownie mix (1 box, fixed according to directions)
Instant chocolate pudding (2 large boxes, fixed according to the package)
Whipped topping (2 8 ounce cartons)
Heath Bars, crushed (6 bars)

In a large trifle dish, crumble 1/3 of the brownies, then layer layer 1/3 of the pudding, 1/3 of the whipped topping, and 2 of the crushed Heath Bars. Repeat layers twice, ending with the crushed Heath Bars.


I also had too much filling for this trifle- not as much as the Pumpkin Gingerbread filling, but still too much. I am going to try to do a better job of making sure my layers are more even next time.

I also took my grandmother's pound cake. This has been a family staple for as long as I can remember. When I was in college and seminary, my grandmother would send me back with one of these. It is great for breakfast too! (It was originally called the 2, 2, 2, 5, 1 Cake)

Mamaw's Pound Cake

2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
2 sticks of margarine, at room temperature
5 eggs
1 tablespoon of flavoring (1 teaspoon almond extract, 1 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)

Combine all ingredients with a mixer and pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 325 for one hour. Let cool for about 10 minutes before taking it out of the pan.


I pulled the cake directly out of the oven and into the car to head to my friend's. I got stuck in traffic along Memorial and it took me almost an hour instead of the normal 10 minutes. It cooled too long and was difficult to get out.

No comments: