Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day

Christmas Breakfast- Granny's Sausage Roll


For the last several years I have contributed to making a special breakfast for the family. We have always shared Saturday morning breakfasts for as long as I can remember. As teenagers, we begged to sleep late, but my dad insisted that we not "sleep the day away", but rather spend quality time around the table sharing breakfast on Saturday mornings. When we are all in town, my dad still enjoys getting as many of us around the table to share breakfast.

About five or six years ago I decided to try to make my grandmother's sausage roll. She passed away about eleven years ago, and when we would go visit her she would have the sausage roll and cinnamon rolls for us at breakfast. I haven't ever tried the cinnamon rolls, but have perfected the sausage roll. It is one of Roger's favorites and he requests each year at Christmas You actually need to make this the before because you need to freeze it, so it makes his request easy, but you have to plan ahead.

Granny's Sausage Roll


2 c flour
3 T cornmeal
3 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
1/3 c oil
Milk to make stiff (about 1/2 c, but up to 1 c)
1 lb sausage

Mix four, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, and milk together. Kneed dough and roll out into a rectangle. I normally roll it to about 9 x 13 or so. Once dough has been rolled out I trim may edges to make it pretty. Then spread the uncooked sausage on top of the dough. Roll the sausage and dough mixture into a roll.


Place the sausage roll in wax paper and foil or a container that can go in the freezer. I just don't have a container long enough to accommodate it. Freeze overnight or longer. About 15 to 20 minutes before you are ready to bake this remove from the freezer and begin to thaw. You want to thaw just long enough that it begins to soften and is easy to cut. Cut the sausage roll into slices. I normally cut mine between 1/4 and 1/3 of an inch wide. Bake about 400 until brown, which is about 25 minutes. Enjoy!





Christmas Day

We began today by eating our special breakfast by the fire.


Then I finished setting the table before I headed back upstairs to finish getting ready for everyone to arrive. I then went and picked up my grandparents. I helped in the kitchen when I returned as the last minute preparations were made. It is one of those times when there are too many people in the kitchen, but no one says anything because it doesn't happen that often.



We enjoyed a wonderful lunch of fried turkey, dressing, loaded mashed potatoes, corn casserole, jalapeno broccoli, cranberry jello salad, strawberry jello salad, and rolls. Fried turkey has become a tradition around here. My dad does a great job of making this delicious part of the meal.


The rest of the day was spent playing with Jacob and visiting with one another. Here is a picture of Uncle Roger and Jacob playing. They also played with Jacob's new rocket, but that was outside and I forgot to take my camera out there.



It was a great day, but now everyone has gone. I'll see more of Stuart, Michelle, Jacob, and the grandparents, but the house is sure a lot quieter without Roger and Alisa!

No comments: