Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Jane and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

My mom is a retired teacher. She taught everything at some point in her career, but she always enjoyed teaching reading/language arts. She constantly was bringing books home to share with my brothers and me. At some point growing up my mom came across a book entitled Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. Alexander woke up with gum in his hair. At breakfast his brothers both found the surprise in the cereal box, but Alexander only got cereal. His mom forgot to pack his dessert in his lunch. When he goes to the dentist after school he finds out he has a cavity. He decides that maybe he should just move to Australia.

Does anyone know when the next flight to Australia leaves?

I didn't wake up with gum in my hair and I didn't find out I had a cavity. It started off like a fairly normal day. It was Monday and I will confess that I wasn't in the best mood. I had a lot on my mind and was anxiously waiting for the day to be over. When I finally got everything at work finished, I hoped in my car. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. "Vrumm...Vr....V....." I tried again, but only got the same awful sound. Thankfully there was a meeting at the office sot here were still plenty of people there. I am also thankful that my dad has made sure that I have AAA. The tow truck arrived which was an experience in itself. The kicker was when Bud (yes, that really was his name) asked me if I had a husband that I could call. I really wanted to look him in the the eye and say, "If I had a husband, do you really think I would have called a tow truck? Do you really think that I would be sitting out here in the dark? Really!" Thankfully, self control kicked in and I simply said, "No." To make a long story short, I ended up being towed to Sears where I bought a new battery. I finally got home at 9:30 pm.

This morning I got up and headed to work. I had noticed that it was driving quite right on the way home from Sears and had figured I would take in to a mechanic today. (I had actually contacted someone that I was pretty sure would know of a good mechanic.) However, the first time I stopped at a light the car died. I got it started and decided that I would head straight to the dealership, which I pass on the way to work. I caught the next light and it died again. There was no starting it after that. I pulled the AAA card back out and made the phone call. With a tow truck on the way, I broke down. Sitting at the intersection of Boy Scout and Lois across from International Plaza I laid my head on the steering wheel and cried. I secretly also prayed that Bud would not be the one who showed up in the tow truck.

I know God was protecting me as cars constantly whizzed by and coming very close. The tow truck arrived and took me to the dealership. They promised to try to get me on the schedule but were not able to make any promises. One of my co-workers came and picked me up. I finally arrived at the office at 10:00. In just an hour or so later I received a call from the dealership with good news and bad news. The good news is that they had worked me in. The good news was that it wasn't near as bad as it could have been. The bad news, the parts had to be ordered from Orlando, and I won't be able to get my car until tomorrow.

That pretty much sums us my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day...I did get towed twice in less than 24 hours! Here's to praying that tomorrow is a wonderful, incredible, good, amazing day!


MLM said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry to read about your day(s). I hate days like that, especially when they last longer than 24 hours. Here's to a new day dawning...and soon! :o)

Jane said...

MLM- If I could have a "do over" week I would. BUT I am really glad tomorrow is Friday