Monday, April 21, 2008

5K Update

On March 6th I shared that I had begun to train for a 5K. That was 6 1/2 weeks ago and I thought it was time to share my progress. I have been trying to run about 5 times a week. I have gotten to the point that I can run for a significant period of time without stopping...about 8 minutes or so. Then I normally walk for a minute or two and then pick it back up. My goal was to run a 5K on May 3rd. That is less than 2 weeks away. Needless to say, I'm not ready.

I'm not disappointed with myself. I mean, 6 weeks ago I was doing good to jog for 60 seconds without stopping. I have gotten to the point that I enjoy it. I miss it when my schedule and crazy life don't allow me to fit in a jog. By no means am I at the point of being able to declare, "when I run, I feel His pleasure" like Eric Liddell in Chariots of Fire. I do, however; feel His strength and His presence. Some of my best times with Him have been during the evenings as I hit the trail behind my apartment. With my iPod playing praise and worship music or a sermon I downloaded, my relationship with God has grown leaps and bounds during these past 6 weeks.

I still have a ways to go, both spiritually and physically, but I am headed in the right direction. Some day, probably soon, I will complete a 5k. It just won't be May 3rd. Until then (and even after), I will continue pounding the pavement, watch the pounds disappear, and watch my love for God increase with each stride.

No comments: