Thursday, March 6, 2008

Let the Training Begin!

I have begun working on one of the things on my list of things I want to do before turning 30. Which one? Training for a 5K. Maybe you are like me and needed to know where to begin. First, I will admit I am not much of a runner. Never have been. If I could have figured out how to play basketball without running, I would have. However, chasing after that orange ball always made the running a little less of a pain. I have walked on and off for the last several years with some sporadic attempts at jogging that never seem to last. I even walked a half marathon a little over 2 years ago.

Back to where to begin...I began to search online for something that would allow me to ease into this whole process. That is when I found The Couch-to-5K Running Plan. I wouldn't quite go as far as to say I was a couch potato, but that is beside the point. I had already been doing some walking in the previous weeks and realized that I was having some pain in my shins. Last week I dove in with both feet to adding some jogging only to realize that my shoes were shot.



Now, I know they look fine, but take a look at the bottoms.



In case you can't tell there is no tread on the ball of the shoe. Did I mention that this is the same pair of shoes that I trained for and walked the half marathon in? After two days of following my new plan I headed to a local running store and purchased a new pair of running shoes.



You may not be able to tell, but they are actually the same pair just a newer version. I must confess I like blue more than I like yellow so that was perfectly okay with me.



I would love to tell you that they make me super fast and I am breezing through this new plan already jogging 25 minutes straight, but that isn't true. I am not sure when you stop believing new shoes make you run super fast, but I can tell you I am not in pain.

Mission accomplished. I'll keep you posted on my progress. :)

2 comments:

JEff said...

Okay, I'm inspired now. No, really, I am. It's about 2 months from my birthday (the one you once forgot but made good on by bringing me MCAlisters and a great cheesecake), and I think this would be a good goal for me as well. I just would like to point out I will NOT be turning 30, though. Nope, that's a couple of years off.

Jane said...

Couple of years...like 2! Glad I inspired you though. If we lived closer then we could run together. Oh and for the record, you forgot my fake birthday this year that only you celebrate because you can't remember the "real" one. I think we are even! ;)