Wednesday, March 26, 2008

To Be a Kid Again!

Tonight on my way home from work I talked with my nephew, Jacob. He was full of the business and information about baseball. Over the last several months he has decided that when he grows up he is going to be a baseball player for the Houston Astros. He is well on his way to accomplishing his dream since he is playing pre-tball this year.

The first thing Jacob informed me of is that he had new baseball shoes with cleats that are blue and white. Of course they make him run super fast. He also informed me that the tile is slippery when he wears them in the house. (Gosh he makes me laugh!)

We also played the guessing game of his team's name. I began with the obvious, the Astros. No, Aunt Jane. The Phillies? (This is the team my younger brother played for when he was growing up.) "No." Then came my first hint, but from my mom. (My brother and sister-in-law are in Dallas for the rest of the week.) In pre-tball the teams have "gentler" names. The first thing that popped into my head was turtle. "No, guess again." Then came my second clue. "It's an insect," he repeated after my mom. Then in the not so quiet whisper of a child, "Gigi, what's an insect?" "Don't worry, Aunt Jane knows." "Are you a grasshopper?" "Yes!"

Then I was told about how his first practice is tomorrow night and that he has to have his name on everything. Apparently Tanner is also on his team, but between myself, Papaw, and Gigi, none of us knew about Tanner. We knew he didn't go to Jacob's school and he didn't go to their church, so we weren't sure where else he would have known him from. Finally it did came out that Jacob met Tanner at one of Daddy's work parties. Mystery solved!

To be a kid again...when baseball season held more excitement than anything else. Where you were excited to be a grasshopper and that you had your first pair of cleats. When you are happy because you knew at least one person on your tball team. When shoes made you run fast and you woke up from your nap only to get a snack...

No comments: