Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Trip Down Memory Lane

On the radio this morning they were talking about memorable family vacations. It only took me a moment for one to come spinning back to me.

It would have been the mid 90s...I would have been in high school, Stuart in college, and Roger in junior high. It was Spring Break and my parents decided we needed to spend it together on vacation. We, or I should say they, decided we would spend some time in Wimberley and San Antonio which were only a couple of hours away. To make the "forced family time" more bearable there were fun little activities planned...shopping at the outlet mall, tickets to see the Spurs play, etc. (I was a teenager and loved basketball and shopping equally, okay not equally, I loved basketball more!)

My dad was in charge of our accommodations and was extremely pleased with himself when he found a great deal on a cabin in Wimberley. We would be driving distances to all the attractions, but still able to enjoy the quiet.

I remember pulling up in the Suburban to our cabin and looking at my brothers. Cabin didn't quite describe it...double wide trailer is a better description. We also found out that my dad had forgone the extra $10.00, so there was no TV. When we stepped inside I discovered that I would be sleeping on the cot that was located on the enclosed patio. I think the icing on the cake was when my younger brother, the country music buff, looked at my mom and began to sing:
So I made her the queen of my double wide trailer
With the polyester curtains and the redwood deck...
I'll spare you of the rest of this Sammy Kershaw "classic", but I cannot hear without thinking of my mom and that trip! By the end of the week were all laughing about our vacation...wait, we are still laughing all the years later.

So, what's your most memorable vacation? Maybe next time I'll share about the time that Roger busted out in "Trashy Women" at Stuart and Michelle's rehearsal for their wedding!

3 comments:

Carolina Mama said...

What a great memory! And thanks for stopping by for the giveaway. Good Luck!

JEff said...

I think one of my most memorable moments with my family on vacation would be when we were in in Jamaica. I begged Dad to let us go to the private beach $10/person versus the public beach $4/ person. He refused...until we found out public can mean many things. As soon as my Dad realized the women were all topless, he decided we could go to the private beach after all. What's with dads trying to be cheap on vacations? (I was about to be a senior, I think, and Ava was about to be a freshman in high school.)

Jane said...

Abbey- Yes dads can be a little cheap sometimes...but those always seems to be the memories that stick the longest. I could have also shared about the vacation with all the car trouble. I think we were towed twice! Crazy!!!