It all began back in February. I received this strange phone call from my mom. She explained that she had bought something for me and had it shipped straight to me. This really isn't such a strange occurrence in my family. Several months earlier I got a Kitchen Aid hand mixer in the mail. No explanation, nothing. My mom added to her phone call that she hadn't lost her mind, but it was probably the strangest thing she had ever bought me.
That same day I received the infamous package at work. I found a two foot log inside. Apparently it was a "special" log called an oriental totem pole that had already been growing for twenty years.
There was a fairly extensive list of directions to go with my log.
- Remove the wax from the bottom of the log
- Place upright in two to three inches of water
- Change water two to three times a week
- After leaves begin to sprout place in a pot
- Leaves will begin to sprout in six to eight weeks
- Will grow for the next seventy years and up to seven feet tall
I confess I was sceptical at the whole thing, but I will tell you that I have been pleasantly surprised at my little stump, which I now call Stumpy.
I will admit that I do not have a green thumb, but I think I am doing pretty good. Another branch has broken through at the base and there are three other branches that should begin to break through in a couple of weeks. Just a little over sixty-nine and a half years to go!