Saturday, June 30, 2007

4th of July and Going "Home"

I grew up in a small Texas town. Well, for Texas standards it isn't that small. Growing up there were about 12,000 people, but we have had a poplutation boom and now there are over 15,000 people who call Belton home. Belton is located in the "heart of Texas" along I-35 between Waco and Austin.

Belton was established in 1850. Apparently it was quite the place to be back in the Civil War. However, things changed with the railroad came through Central Texas. The Santa Fe Railroad Company decided to go around Belton and built a new town, Temple, across the river. I am assumming that is were the rivarly began. (Who knew, I always thought the rivalry was centered around high school football!) The courthouse that stands in the center of town today was built in 1886. Needless to say Belton is steeped in history.

Growing up in Texas had its advantages and disadvantages. You have to be careful about not getting into the mentatlity of everything is bigger and better in Texas. However, you learn about patriotism and the 4th of July celebration is a prime example. It all kicks off this weekend. On Sunday there will be the First Baptist Church's 44th Annual God and Country Concert. Growing up we would all end up at our Minister of Music's house for homemade ice cream. I think now there is a smaller gathering that goes one. The PRCA rodeo also should be in full swing. On Wednesday the 4th there is the 83rd Annual parade. I'm talking every baseball team and horse in the whole county will be in it. There is also the fair and all sorts of other festivities.


I will board a plane bound for Austin, TX on the 3rd. I will be one of thousands of people at the parade on Wednesday. I will then get to spend several days with the family. I know your anticipation is mounting. Don't worry, I will be armed with my camera and will share all the adventures along the way...Stay tuned!

No comments: