Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Lunch Preparations

I will be enjoying Easter lunch tomorrow with some friends. When we began making plans, it was decided that we will all bring some different dishes. I volunteered to make mashed potatoes and green beans. Then the issue of dessert was brought up and the vote was coconut cake. Coconut and I are not the best of friends, so I decided I would make something to take that I also could take to work Easter night when I went in for my shift. Since I haven't shared a recipe in a while, I will share the new cookie recipe I made tonight.

Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 cups cocoa powder
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
16 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used special dark chocolate chips)
4 large eggs
2 t vanilla
2 t instant coffee or espresso powder (I omitted this b/c I wasn't "feeling" the coffee tonight)
10 T unsalted butter, softened but firm
1 1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 sugar



The directions say to sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt, but I don't have a sifter so I just threw it in a bowl.





Melt the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring once or twice until the smooth.





I also set aside some chocolate chips to mix into the dough at the end which I guess it made the cookies, triple chocolate instead of double chocolate.



Technically the recipe called for vanilla extract, but I typically use pure Mexican vanilla. Beat eggs and vanilla lightly with a fork. If you are using the instant coffee, you would sprinkle it over the egg and vanilla mixture and let it dissolve.





The butter was suppose to be soft but firm. This was not soft at all, so I threw it in the microwave for a few seconds.



Whoops...too much!


That's okay, I'll use it in the potatoes (that were on the stove) and try again...Much better!



Beat the butter until creamy and then add the sugars. The mixture will have a granular texture.



On low beat in the egg mixture gradually until combined.



Add chocolate in a steady stream until combined.



Add the flour mixture and mix on low.



Then I threw in the chocolate chips that I had set aside.



Cover and then let stand at room temperature until it is scoopable and fudge like, about 30 minutes.

You might wander what to do in the 30 minutes. I went from this....





To this....





(Now, don't pay attention to the fact that I have two coffee pots on the counter. The one to the left is my old pot while the one on the right is my new fancy coffee pot that arrived this week. I haven't decided what to with the old one yet.)

I also called my mom about the green bean recipe I will make tomorrow after church.

Then the recipe gave all these instructions about adjusting the racks in the oven, using parchment paper on the cookie sheets, and ice cream scoop....I couldn't be bothered with some many steps, so I just sprayed my cookie sheet with some cooking spray and spooned some cookie dough on.



Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes...you want the sides to be almost set and the center to be soft.



It did say to use a metal spatula to remove the cookies, which did seem to be key. These cookies are very soft and have a nice texture...almost cake or brownie like. I guess I'll see how everyone like them tomorrow.

Maybe tomorrow I'll share my mashed potatoes...They were yummy too!!!

No comments: